Monday, September 20, 2010

4 miles in a durndel and heels

Well, where to begin. My weekend FLEW by as the events I had planned were checked off the list. I went to a birthday party for a friend of Manuela's family on Saturday. It was nice to meet everyone and become integrated with the family, even though I could only understand bits and pieces. Manuela's two nieces didn't need too much talking to start to like me. We played games outside and they stared in awe at my dirndl fitting.
Yes, a dirndl. It was bound to happen, but I didn't ever imagine it to be on the scale it was. On Sunday, I woke up at 5:30 and I walked with a group in the Oktoberfest Parade through Munich. It was a big deal. Hundreds of people lined the streets all the way through the city. It was a 4 mile walk in heels. It was so exciting. Everyone wanted MY wave and smile, and although my feet were yelling at me, I gave it to them. I loved seeing the city: Munich is so BEAUTIFUL. I hope to get back and see it without marching in the street. The parade walked right into Oktoberfest, which is more of an amusement park than I had originally thought. We had a reserved beer tent and it was loud and crowded, but so much fun. The people in my group were generous and interested in me. They all tried a bit of Englisch and complimented my little Deutsch. By the time we left Munich, it was only 12:45! What a day. More pictures of the parade to come!--sjinternational

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it was quite fabulous. It also took a half an hour to put together! Pictures of the process will be on Facebook shortly. Henner has to get all of his pictures to me first.

    ReplyDelete